The Holmdel Environmental Commission (HEC), established by the Township Committee in accordance with state law and the Township Code, is an advisory body of Township residents appointed by the Mayor.
Responsibilities of the HEC include:
- Maintain an inventory of open space properties, publicly or privately owned, in the township;
- Maintain an inventory of natural and environmental resources in the township;
- Design, construct, and maintain trails on township properties and conduct public walks on these trails;
- Publicize our activities and accomplishments by advertising, preparing, printing and distributing reports, maps, charts, plans and pamphlets;
- Identify, research, and advise the Mayor and Township Committee on environmental issues that may affect the township and/or its residents;
- Review development applications and make recommendations to the Planning Board and the Zoning Board of Adjustment;
- Review the Master Plan and make recommendations to the Planning Board.
- USEPA Homeowner Guide (PDF)
- Septic Systems (PDF)
- Waackaack Creek Watershed Report - Rutgers University
Environmental Commission funding is appropriated by the Township Committee as part of the Township’s annual budget. In addition, the Commission seeks grants from the state and other sources to fund specific projects.
In 1968 a law was enacted law authorizing New Jersey municipalities to establish conservation commissions that would be advisory bodies on natural resource planning and protection, and open space issues. In 1972 the law was amended expanding the commissions’ responsibilities to other areas of environmental concern such as pollution prevention and control, solid waste management, noise control and environmental appearance. At that time the name was changed to environmental commissions. Today environmental commissions are local environmental advocates involved in a broad range of activities.
|Name||Term Length||Term Expiration|
|Karen Strickland (Chair)||Three Years||December 31, 2023|
|Chiung-Yin Cheng Liu||Three Years||December 31, 2023|
|Gary Vanderham (Planning Board Liaison)||Three Years||December 31, 2025|
|Jill Perez||Three Years||December 31, 2025|
|Randy Rauscher (Vice Chair 2)||Three Years||December 31, 2024|
|Anthony Salerno||Three Years||December 31, 2025|
|Ralph Blumenthal (Vice Chair)||Three Years||December 31, 2024|
|Chiung-yin Cheng Liu||Three Years||December 31, 2025|
|Janet Jackel (Alternate #1)||Three Years||December 31, 2025|
|John Galasso (Alternate #2)||Two Years||December 31, 2023|
|Loretta Coscia (Commission Secretary)|
How to Volunteer
To volunteer to serve on a Township board or commissions please fill out an online application.